Monday, February 22, 2010

Duet acting
CY(Caesar), Zijia (Calpurnia)

During this scene, Calpurnia tells Caesar about her dream and advises Caesar to stay at home for the day. Calpurnia dreamt that Caesar's statue sprouted blood like a fountain, and smiling Romans came to bathe in his blood. Calpurnia thought that this was a bad omen, predicting Caesar's death. She desperately begs Caesar to not go to the Capitol, but Caesar ignores her, until she falls on her knees. We both thought that this was a significant scene in the play because it foreshadows Caesar's death. This is also one of the most important decisions in the play, it is a decision that will influence all of Rome. This scene also builds up the conflict to the most important point of the play, the assasination of Caesar. It also characterizes Caesar, Calpurnia and also Decius.


Act 2 Scene 2
Lines 8- 56

Caesar Nor heaven nor earth have been at peace tonight: Thrice hath Calpurnia in her sleep cried out, 'Help, ho! they murder Caesar!' Who's within?

(Enter a Servant)

Servant My lord?

Caesar Go bid the priests do present sacrifice, And bring me their opinions of success.

Servant I will, my lord

(Enter Calpurnia)

Calpurnia What mean you, Caesar? Think you to walk forth? You shall not stir out of your house today.

Caesar Caesar shall forth. The things that threaten'd me Ne'er look'd but on my back; when they shall see The face of Caesar, they are vanished.

Calpurnia Caesar, I never stoodon ceremonies, Yet now they fright me, there is one within, Besides the things that we have heard and seen, Recounts most horrid sights seen by the watch. A lioness hath whelped in the streets, And graves have yawn'd and yielded up their dead; Fierce fiery warriors fight upon the clouds, in ranks and squadrons and right form of war, Which drizzled blood upon the Capitol; the noise of battle hurtled in the air, horses did neigh, and dying men did groan, And ghosts did shriek and squeal about the streets. O Caesar, these things are beyond all use, and I do fear them.

Caesar What can be avoided whose end is purpos'd by the mighty gods? Yet Caesar shall go forth; for these predictions are to the world in general as to Caesar.

Calpurnia When beggars die, there are no comets seen; the heavens themselves blaze forth the death of princes.

Caesar Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have yet have heard, It seems to me most strange that men should fear, Seeing that death, a necessary end, Will come when it will come.

(Enter a servant)
What say the augurers

Servant They would not have you to stir forth today. Plucking the entrails of an offering forth, They could not find a heart withinthe beast.

Caesar The gods do this in spite of cowardice: Caesar should be a beast without a heart, If he should stay at home today for fear. No, Caesar shall not. Danger knows full well, That Caesar is more dangerous than he. We are two lions litter'd in one day, And I the elder and more terrible, And Caesar shall go forth.

Calpurnia Alas, my lord, your wisdom is consum'd in confidence. Do not go forth today, call it my fear, that keeps you in the house, and not your own. We'll send Mark Antony to the Senate House, And he shall say you are not well today. Let me upon my knee prevail in this.

Caesar Mark Antony shall say I am not well, And for thy homour I will stay at home

No comments:

Post a Comment