Monday, November 23, 2009

Raphael- School of Athens




How can art be a mirror of society?
Art is not just a piece of canvas on the wall that looks nice. Historians analyse artwork from the Renaissance to find out about their lifestyle. Historians learn a lot about society and life in the Renaissance because all of the information is depicted in many of the artworks created. The artwork shows what people do during the Renaissance period and what their lives were like. Depicted in 'School of Athens' by Raphael, is what the people are discovering and inventing. It shows what the different scientists were working on. It also shows that some scientists were working with more spiritual ideas that transcend the normal world. Another important clue the fresco gives historians is the architecture of the school. It is classical Roman architecture, which is interesting because the painting is of a school in Athens, Greece. This fresco shows up what society and life was like during the time of the Renaissance.

Who am I?
If I were someone in the fresco, I would be Aristotle. He is the focal point of the painting. I also like to be in the center of attention. I hate it when people ignore me and don't pay attention to me. Aristotle is also someone who learns from a master and then teaches to a disciple. He was a student of Plato and the master of Alexander the Great. I often a lot learn from my teachers and after that I will explain to the other students who don't understand. I enjoy doing that. It makes me feel happy to know that I'm helping someone. It also gives me the full attention of the student when I'm explaining, and I like people paying attention to me. Aristotle was also unafraid to question or disagree with Plato's thinking. I also sometimes disagree and argue with my parents and teachers ideas and thinking as well. Aristotle's contributions made a huge impact on western philosophy. I'm also looking to make an impact, whether in class or in someones life. In the painting, Aristotle is pointing down towards the geniuses who focus on the real ideas instead of the spiritual ones. Although I try to think logically and scientifically, sometimes, the events that happen to me are unexplainable using logic and scientific ideas. So, this makes me also think about the spiritual principals as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment